Sunday, December 03, 2006

Monday, November 06, 2006
Cora's feedback from Canoe Festival and Invisible Theatre



The Canoe Festival over the weekend was a very busy and exciting event. There were the paddlers, the traditional dancers and all sorts of people within and outside Milne Bay Province. As for the Invisible Theater group, they were out on a mission to do a play without an audience knowing about it.

The group had a brief meeting to finalise what to do and then everyone was dropped off at the market area to begin the Invisible piece. The actors were left to walk around like everyone else but it was not as easy as we thought it would turn out. The actors were to walk around the stall areas, keeping an eye out for each other when the actual play was to start.

I also took part in the Invisible Theatre group with the other actors. I thought it was all going to be easy to act out this piece but it was quite hard to find group members to get it all started in the big crowd we had on Saturday. Well, we at least got ourselves together and then there was this difficulty of getting friends out of our way and not making it obvious that we were doing something. I for one bumped into many of my friends like the other actors and we had to just tell them we were hurrying and needed to leave them. We did manage to get together at last for the piece to begin. The first phase of the play was near a market stall with mothers selling food stuff and handcrafts. As a student, I was asked by one of the actors about how I traveled from school and came home. This brought up the issue of discussing on the cheapest transport available. It left the mothers and other nearby onlookers giving their opinions about how M.V Milne Bay has been providing good service for the people. So, we had a really good response from the public without them knowing that we were actually acting out a piece and them contributing by giving their views. The next scene took place when one of the actor’s purse went missing and we started looking around for it. This caught the crowd’s attention as they were curious to know what was going on with people crowding around that particular area. This was a good feedback we got from the people as they really gave their negative thoughts about the ship. They went on saying things like the ship brought in too many people with new ideas and attitudes which is making the place unsafe. Some people also helped to search for the purse showing concern for the lost item. So, the crowd gave both good and bad views about the ship. Some of the good points were about the ship’s cheap traveling rate compared to airlines and handcrafts and artifacts from other parts of the country. The bad views were mainly on the change of the peaceful community. A lot was said about the increasing number of people the ship is admitting into the province.



From my own point of view, I think this new passenger ship is really helping people who cannot afford to pay airfares to travel. Hearing from friends who have traveled on the ship, they’ve said that the service provided on board was really good and convenient and also the fare was reasonable for both children and adults. After participating in the Invisible Theater, I learnt that it was a very effective way of getting people’s views and making awareness to them about issues they need to know about.

I hope to learn a lot and get myself geared up with the computer skills before returning for school next year. I am glad that the staff at EMB have offered to teach me some stuff on the computer, especially their blog website. I know I’m going to learn a lot and get myself more familiar with these before I leave as not many homes in PNG have access to the latest technology. It is a good opportunity for me to gain more knowledge and experience from EMB. I believe that after these 2 months of work experience, I will have learnt a lot of things and it will be of good benefit to me. Apart from taking part with the drama group, I am writing up entries for their blog website as well. With the assistance and guidance of Maxine Nadile, the operations manager, I’ve written the first entry of the blog. With a lot of it still at work, the drama group practices are also on with the actors coming in the afternoons to go through their pieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home